Saturday, June 16, 2018

Thoughts, random and otherwise

I'm curious. Our governor has committed Arkansas National Guard troops to the president’s "border protection caper." Will they be asked to participate in Jeff Sessions' final solution of tearing babies from their mothers and sending them to tent-city concentration camps as a warning to immigrants?

I know many in our National Guard. They are fine people, among our best. I don't think they will participate, even if ordered to, some from religious principles, some from personal virtue, some from an inborn sense of decency.

More than a few are likely familiar with the word "Nuremberg."

Despite our voting record of late, I still have faith in the people of our state, at least those who are willing to serve in the military. I can't imagine that fine Arkansans will join in this atrocity. Say they refuse. Will this precipitate a crisis or will they simply leave to be replaced by Eric Prince's private army, i.e. "Trump's Troopers?"

When one enlists in the United States Military, active duty or reserve, they take the following oath:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

National Guard enlisted members take a similar oath, except they also swear to obey the orders of the Governor of their state.

Eric Prince’s army takes no such oath.

We may soon learn some fateful information about the American people. With the both the morality bar, and the definition of “normal” having been lowered to such an extent, the news may not comfort us.

No comments:

Post a Comment