Monday, July 4, 2022

FREEDOM DAY

The darker angels of my nature offer a number of reasons why I should stare at my Honorable Discharge today and wonder if it was worth it. The voices of those who will most likely be elected to govern our state have not uttered one note of aspiration, only hints of retribution and retaliation.

The highest court in our land seems to hate everything I thought was decent and worthy of service. I have friends today who stare at their marriage license and wonder if it, unlike their love, will be everlasting. I even have dear friends who want our beloved democracy to be replaced by a bronze-age theocracy.

I see teenagers walking to work in the heat while televangelists ride in private jets at the taxpayers’ expense.

I see the deterioration of neighborhoods addressed by accusations on both sides, not acts by either.

But I read history and have seen my beloved country’s greatness spring from the darkest of swamps. It is stronger than those who call me a sucker for serving her and so I will.




No comments:

Post a Comment