Saturday, April 18, 2020

Duty

Anyone reading the news today must be concerned. Groups of thugs are descending on state capitols that have Democratic governors and are demanding that the Covid 19 protections end. Members supposedly include neo-Nazis and other anarchists. The president of the United States of America is encouraging them to follow their worst instincts.

One thing, among many, scares me about these people. It is that it would only take a message from the Russian trolls, or someone they follow, to: "Grab your gun, put on your brown uniform, and meet us in the town square" for the America I served for four years to be at risk.

One thing, among many, dismays me. That is that people I’ve known and loved for years, some for most of my life, and some with post-secondary educations would, it appears from their FB posts, join the thugs. I don’t know what makes these people so mad. I know many of them to have been decent, loyal Americans for most of their lives. Somewhere, the Dark Side prevailed. The transformation started years ago, but seems to have taken on unprecedented strength in early 2009.

One thing, among many, nauseates me. I have seen many things in my long life, but I’ve never seen the president of the United States of America spew venom and incite resurrection toward states not governed by his political party. It is worse still for a president to include tirades about gun ownership in his exhortations. Even Dick Cheney didn’t stoop this low during his eight years as president.

I worry. I’m old enough to last out a normal life, so why speak out and risk my reputation and standing? It’s just that when I saw the blue waters of the South China Sea out the window of that eastbound airline, I could never have imagined an America like this. I never imagined an America that was run like a pro wrestling show. I never imagined that someone close to me who lives with a disability would suffer mocking and disrespect from a candidate for president of my country. I never could have imagined a president who sides with dictators and criminals over decent Americans. I am worried and nauseated in equal shares.

Silence translates to some as approval. I will speak out when I feel it is necessary, even if it is futile. I’m sorry if I offend anyone, but I will violate the oath I took in 1966, for which there is no
Statute of Limitations, if I don’t take a stand.

No, on second thought I’m not sorry. It’s time, actually past time, for us to make our voices heard concerning this insanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment