Monday, April 27, 2020

Planning and Execution

Reading the account of the assault on Cemetery Ridge by Earl J. Hess. Unlike, say, “Pickett's Charge in History and Memory” by Carol Reardon, Hess concentrates on the military minutia. Seems that generals Hancock and Hunt on the Union side had a little “set-to” about whether to maintain artillery fire before the assault to motivate the Union troops, (Hancock), or to save it for the assault to de-motivate the Confederate troops (Hunt). I’ll put that on my list of things to ask the “Redleg Major General” about next time we share one another’s company.

Yes, I know a Major General. I know a couple of ministers too, along with a bunch of banjo pickers and a few curmudgeons. My social spread would amaze you. I learn from each person within it. I even know some affable conservatives. They aren’t as cocky now as they once were but we still enjoy fellowship.

Anyway, the pre-assault bombardment on the third day at Gettysburg went on for something like an hour. (It seems nobody timed it exactly.) I think I read somewhere once that they heard the sounds of it in Baltimore. Brave officers on both sides rode along the infantry lines bolstering courage. Real leaders to that. The apex of danger is no time to spread distrust. Amidst all the death and destruction, some of the Union troops actually fell asleep toward the end of the bombing.

Finally, things fell silent and flags began to appear in the distant woods. The assault had begun.

Like many things that aren’t thought out carefully, or flow from ego and not reality, it didn’t end well. Ask a banjo player. The fingers all have to roll in rhythm for to carry the tune.



No comments:

Post a Comment